When working with series with a high number of data points, there are a few things to consider.
- First of all, consider using the Boost module.
- Otherwise, for line plots, it is recommended that you disable point markers, as these will add a performance overhead. See a demo of Time series, zoomable.
- Disabling shadows increases performance, as three shadow elements are created for each shape that includes a shadow.
- For large column series, it is recommended that you disable the initial animation, plotOptions.column.animation, at least for VML based browsers. The best way to distinguish between fast SVG browsers and slower VML browsers is to use the
- Consider using data grouping, either on the client or server side. This is provided as a feature in Highcharts Stock. See the Data Grouping and Server Side Data Grouping articles for more information on using these features with Highcharts Stock.